Tuesday, April 8, 2008

My Grandmother's Gift

Last night I dreamed of my maternal grandmother for the first time in years, maybe decades. She had come out with a beautifully cooked meal for me before I was to leave on a long trip. I cried tears of appreciation and respect for her gift. Waking up, I thought of the multi-generational support which is available to each of us from our family lineages. My grandmother died over 30 years ago. I remember her as a hard-working, often smiling and always strong woman who balanced out my charismatic, idealistic grandfather with her practical concern for their extended family. At family gatherings, she was the foundation that held the celebrations together. Whatever individual aspirations she may have had earlier in life, she had sacrificed to create a safe, happy and inviting family environment for her children and grandchildren. That was a real gift to me. It was my first experience of the joy of being with a group of diverse yet loving people who cared for each other on a deep level. Later when I lived in a large spiritual community, I often hoped that someday I could be in relation to each ashram member like a brother or a sister, just like it was growing up at our family gatherings. God being our common Source, we are all brothers and sisters at the deepest level. Indeed, we can only feel the profound peace and joy of being 'at home' in this world when we can relate to everyone as brothers and sisters. My grandmother's gift allowed me to feel what that is like. In this way, she is one of my great ashram teachers. Her gift helps me to know intuitively how far I have come and how far I have to go to find spiritual community and universal family within the great diversity of the world.

No comments: